I rushed down to the fabric store on pay day last week to get some black cotton I'd been eyeing off for days and dreaming about the finished product, and I've spent the interval wrestling with 2 patterns and 5 toiles. I think I'm beginning to understand what sewing is all about; frustration and tears. How does anyone ever end up with a finished product they're happy with?? Even though I was aware from the beginning that the pattern industry had a set standard for body measurements and I was no where near conforming to them, as of 5 days ago I was still convinced making a shirt would be easy. What a poor happy fool I was!
Needless to say, all of my toiles came out tight on top and loose on the bottom. A few clumsy alterations later, I have a useless pile of calico that's no good for anything. The two patterns I tried are the shirt pattern from the 'Sew U' book and a free pattern from Burda (sans the delightful ruffles). The Burda shirt was actually really nice, notwithstanding the fitting issues, and I think that will be the one I'll work on first.
Now all that's left to do is a trip to the library to find some books on fitting, I'm not sure I'm confidant enough to follow written instructions from a message board. Or maybe I'll just move on to an easier pattern..